Want To Start A Sales Career And Become A Successful Salesperson?
Then this guide will teach you the essence of becoming a good sales person.
Manufacturing, logistics, human resources, marketing, accounting — there are many functions that make up any business, be it a nearby patisserie or an MNC like Ford Motors.
According to many managers, the most important aspect of any business is sales. This is the final step during which a customer buys a product or service for a price.
Persuasion is often needed and unlike other aspects, it may not be automatic, at least not yet.
Tesla and Amazon have shown us how production and logistics can be highly automated. Software like SageX3 can take care of accounting and inventory with minimal human intervention.
But people still need touch to sell. A salesperson is essential for most businesses. Digital marketing has started to make some progress but overall, it is still early.
What is the role of a salesman?
The work of a salesman is self-evident. But how does he do it and what is his responsibility?
The primary tasks of a salesperson include:
- Communicate with potential customers for new sales. It often involves a demo of how the product works and the ability to highlight the benefits of buying and using a product made by a competitor.
- Meeting existing buyers for renewal sales. At the same time, the salesperson will inform the customer about new products and services and why an upgrade is needed.
- Negotiate and negotiate agreements. B2B sales are huge and often run into millions of dollars. A sales contract has multiple clauses regarding delivery date, discount, maintenance and warranty. It may also have an exit clause which allows one party to void the contract in certain circumstances.
- To solve the problem faced by a customer and provide quick solution.
- Creating sales reports that break down sales by population, region, product line.
- Provide feedback on trend analysis and management ladder.
In addition to these preliminary tasks, a salesperson may need to contact the marketing team to create strategies.
For many, sales and marketing are synonymous. However, marketing is all activity that goes into sales. It usually covers packaging, advertising, pricing and sales. Sales is a subset of marketing and involves sales.
What makes a good salesperson?
Communication – This is the key to being a good salesperson. Clearly, being able to communicate briefly and describe in simple language while engaging is an important quality. You can develop these skills by constant practice. Ask friends and family for feedback on your communication style and work on your weaknesses.
- Patience একটি a sale rarely ends in a few minutes. It can take days or even weeks to convince a customer to see your point of view. A salesman is always calm and never impatiently works or talks.
- To be a salesperson in energy-real life often requires a lot of travel. Also, a salesperson must always be prepared and attentive. Not just physical, but a lot of mental energy is required to perform the task. You need to be healthy and eat healthy.
- Knowledge-products need to be deeply understood. A salesperson should know the answers to most of the questions. For others, he may refer to a manual or note. Rarely will he ask a client to wait for clarification. Moreover, he must know why his product is more than the product sold in the competition.
- Confidence-I will put it at the top of the list. Even if the product sold is the best in the market, no one is going to buy it from a pessimistic person with a worried attitude. Of course, some salesmen go too far and turn confidence into a well-known, remorseful stress that is unprepared.
How to start a sales career?
A career in sales is fruitful and it provides a lot of job satisfaction and growth opportunities.
However, it is a profession that requires a low level of specialization. You can’t easily go from selling detergent to selling cars and SUVs.
This is why there are so many broad sectors that a salesperson has to choose.
- FMCG (fast moving consumer goods, such as cosmetics, beverages, OTC medicines, household consumables).
- White appliances (large electrical appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines, air conditioners).
- Auto (selling cars, SUVs, light and heavy commercial trucks and buses).
- Insurance (not just personal but business insurance).
- Specialized industrial sectors such as aircraft. In addition to passenger jets, there is a huge market for small crafts such as corporate jets made by Bombardier, Beechcraft, Dassault and others. The same applies to other engineering products such as generators, forklifts and industrial robots.
This is a broad classification and of course not complete. Many popular products, such as graphics cards and gaming consoles, are sold based entirely on technical aspects and reviews.
There are no college courses that teach you to sell. If you want to be a salesperson, you need to apply for internships with companies. Send an email to their HR and finally, you’ll get a call.
Since it is a high-pressure job, it is always open. For the first few months, you get a stipend that covers transportation costs and very little.
You need to use this period to study yourself closely and develop strategies to become a good salesperson.
Not to be outdone, I have to give a warning.
If you are not good with people then do not choose this profession.
Your idea of paradise If you look at Manchester United’s score against Liverpool when you dropped a packet of crumpet with a Fiji drink, this profession is not right for you. Perhaps HTML and CSS coding can be a good career option for a blog website.
You have to be an outgoing, outgoing and reasonably optimistic person; Some people welcome meetings.
Your look should be neat, and your outfit should fit your role.
You can’t sell a Mercedes while wearing a plastic Timex.
It may sound a little boring to hear, but I’m here to give you advice that helps and doesn’t stop.
What does it feel like to be a salesperson?
It is both exciting and stressful.
Most salespeople have a monthly, quarterly and annual goal. Can weigh heavily on anyone.
On the other hand, the career is fruitful for those who like to meet other people. You will meet interesting people whether you are selling a garment in Zara or closing the deal for 400 licenses of Office 365.
The profession is very fruitful. Anyone with a general college degree who is proficient in sales can take home a six figure salary check if they work hard.
Most salesmen, however, work for the thrill they get when they sell. A salesman is basically, a person, and selling a product that will enrich one’s life gives an emotional height that is otherwise difficult to replicate.
In the next few years, many roles will be replaced by automation. Thousands of jobs have already been outsourced to China, India and the Philippines.
Sailing is a rare occupation that is going to survive the turmoil. It cannot be automated to a reasonable degree and no one can do it easily from a distance.
For this reason, it makes sense to invest your time in becoming a good salesperson.
One or two internships will show you how the staff works and what is involved. Teamwork is an essential aspect of sales and an internship is a great place to find out if you really are a team player.
Overall, this is a great career choice and if you work hard and self-discipline, you can rise to the top manager position in your mid-thirties.